Skip to main content

Life of a Call Center Employee

Alarm at 2:30 AM woke me up. Went to brush my teeth and grabbed a cup of tea. 10 minutes later, the cab driver gave a miss call. By 3:00 AM I was on my way to the office. The Australian shift (Or the Graveyard shift) pissed me off a lot. Used to get dressed and then sleep so I could wake up and board the cab that early in the morning. Most "Call Center Employees" would have gone through the trauma called Graveyard shift at least once in their career. This is a tale of one of them - "I".

Most of you probably know how good we are (people from Bihar/Jharkhand/UP) in spoken English. Not because we never learnt but because we never practiced in the real life. For us, English was an optional subject and clearing it in the exam was not even mandatory. From that kind of environment to an International BPO - as we call it - was a tough journey. Couldn't clear the first attempt of voice and accent training in 2007 as the Mother Tongue Influence caught me there. I am sure I didn't improve the second time either, but the Trainer was kind enough to rate me exactly how much it was needed - just the passing marks. They had a job too and couldn't really say they failed. That's how I cleared it.

The real torture started since then. Wearing a headset for continuous eight hours is no joke. No matter how you feel from inside, you have to sound happy to be able to get good scores from the customer and the quality auditors within the organization. When I heard the word "Empathy" I thought the QA was pronouncing it incorrectly. I only knew about sympathy. Anyways, learnt the skills to "Empathize and Sympathize" and grab good scores resulted in maximum of three thousands of incentives. Pheww..... That was tough.... Working in nights, five days a week, whole through the year for 7 long years was really really tough. Many people think getting a job in call centers or BPOs is quite easy. Well, you can say that. But the life inside is a nightmare. You think guys and girls from BPO industry are party freak, anti-social, "bigde huye" chunk of people - you don't know the reason behind it. A person who fails to see the sun for months, fails to interact with anyone because of his schedule, fails to socialize because of his shift timings - needs some entertainment. They are humans too.

I do not understand the issue with our society. The ITeS industry is one of the fastest grown industries in India and was able to sustain the economy (and unemployment) during the 2007-2009 global meltdown. India became the hub for technical support. From Computers to Broadband, Phones to Antivirus software everything is being fixed from the centers in Gurgaon and/or Hyderabad. People still undermine the workforce and ask them "Did you get a job or are you still working for a call canter?".

In our country, we live on perceptions. Once we create one, we find it difficult to change. I am out of this industry now but can feel the pain everyone goes through every day because I used to do the same.

It is time we educate ourselves and understand - no job is big or small. It is our viewpoint, and we should change it for better.

Comments

  1. I have nominated you for the Liebster award! Check out my entry here: https://subliminalwish.blogspot.ae/2017/07/the-liebster-award.html

    Congrats! ♥ Don't forget to leave me a comment with a link to your entry so I can see your answers and nominations. I can't wait to see what you'll write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate my friend . My friend works in call center

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unveiling Core Concerns: The Tale of Telecom Companies and SIM Card Woes in India

In the digital age, our smartphones have become extensions of ourselves, connecting us to the world at our fingertips. However, this convenience can quickly turn into frustration when faced with recurring SIM card issues. A recent series of experiences raises concerns about transparency, accountability, and customer service in the realm of Indian telecom companies. Frequent SIM Card Conundrums  Imagine this scenario: your phone suddenly loses network connectivity, disrupting your daily life and routine. You rush to the authorized store, only to be informed that your SIM card is damaged, necessitating a replacement for a fee. Such situations, unfortunately, have become all too familiar for many users, including a couple who shared their story. A few weeks ago, one member of this couple experienced a sudden disruption in phone service. A visit to the authorized store led to the revelation that the SIM card was damaged and required replacement, at a cost of ₹100. Similarly,

One Sip At A Time...

After multiple unsuccessful attempts, I gave up. Woke up from my bed and went straight to the kitchen. Made a "Kadak" cup of tea and while enjoying it One Sip At a Time, I thought of writing this blog. In the winters of 2007, I was in Kolkata. As fresh IT graduates - completely unaware of the global meltdown which was heading our way - a friend of mine and I were trying our luck with IT firms. Being from the middle class, we didn't have much to spend. So we decided to share a small hotel/lodge in Bada Bazar area of the city. The city is usually warmer than the rest of India. The temperature rarely drops below 18-15 degrees. Hence we used to get up quite early so we can get ready and go for "Job Hunting" in the Salt Lake City - the IT park of Kolkata. Right beside our lodge there was the huge wholesale market - probably the biggest in India (Or Eastern India to be more precise). Right at the corner there was a Chai Walah (Tea Seller) who had employed over 20 peo